I have been living in Shanghai, China since the middle of May but have not got around to posting anything expect to my flickr account and the previous post, the photo of the Shanghai skyline. Today i discovered that a site called city8.com has a Google street view type service for Shanghai. For the uninitiated, Google street view gives you a street level view of the happenings along any given street in a city. They accomplish this by installing a 360 degree camera on the top of a van and driving up and down every street in a city. I’m assuming the photo is geotaged with gps coordinates at the time of capture, and using some proprietary technology they are placed on the map. Without further introduction, take some time and look around my neighborhood and let me know what you think. The place that should load up at the start is my apartment gate, from here use the controls to go up and down the street, and click around inside to pan around or zoom in.
I highly recommend playing with Google Trends, one of Google Labs latest projects. Simply type in a word and it will show you a graph of that particular search term over time. You can even do comparisons between subjects to compare search traffic; this is where the fun begins. Here are some that I checked out.
- War vs. Peace vs. War and Peace – Take a guess at this result.
- RIAA vs. Grandmas – No one is safe, not even those that don’t own computers .
- South Dakota vs. North Dakota – or maybe it should read “South Dakota vs. Dakota“…
- Katrina vs. Tsunami – I actually expected the opposite from this one.
- Apples vs. Oranges – I guess you really can’t compare..
- George Bush vs Iraq – No comment.
- Intelligent Design vs. Flying Spaghetti Monster – Watch out for the noodly appendage.
- Emo vs. Emu – It’s good to see that the emu’s are still standing strong.